On January 22, Clive Barker, creator of Hellraiser and Candyman, sent out this message on his Twitter account: Dear Friends, I’ve had some medical issues that have recently forced me away from my beloved desk and into the hospital… But do not worry… I will be home soon and back to causing trouble! My apologies for being off the radar! All of my love, Clive XOXO.
But no more messages came from Barkers Twitter account only silence. Why was Barker in the hospital? Was he all right? What happened? Days passed, yet no news came.
Then Clive Barkers official website put out this message:
My friends, Clive here. I’m at home now after a while in hospital, thanks to a nearly fatal case of Toxic Shock brought on by a visit to my dentist. Apparently this is not uncommon. In my case the dental work unloaded such a spillage of poisonous bacteria into my blood that my whole system crashed, putting me into a coma. I spent several days in Intensive Care, with a machine breathing for me. Later, my Doctors said that they had not anticipated a happy ending until I started to fight, repeatedly pulling out the tubes that I was constantly gagging on. After a few days of nightmarish delusions I woke up to my life again, tired, twenty pounds lighter but happy to be back from a very dark place. And here in the world I intend to stay. I’ve books to write, films to make and paintings to paint. I seem to have come home with my sight clearer somehow, and my sense of purpose intensified. Thank you all for your messages your prayers and love. What better reason to wake to life than knowing I have such friends? Again, thank you. My love to you always. Clive.
Its strange to see a legend as big as Clive Barker succumb to a freak accident. It reminds us that underneath all of those novels and films and paintings Barker is as human as the rest of us. From all of us at FrightCatalog.com, we wish Barker the quickest of recoveries.