Jane Levy and Bruce Campbell Talk Evil Dead Remake

Previously, we reported that Lily Collins was expected to star in the Evil Dead remake. However, according to HitFix.com, Lily Collins is out and Jane Levy, star of the TV series Suburgatory, is now taking over the role.

Introducing: Jane Levy.

In an article recently released on TheInsider, Jane Levy expressed her feelings on the project: I’m so excited, she said. I’m a big fan of the original. To me its the scariest movie, ever. But this one is really different. They’ve changed it a lot, but its still a pretty gory movie. My mom probably cant see it.

While Levys claim of gore may scare away her mother, diehard fans are still worried that the remake will tarnish the originals image. FrightCatalog.com fans have already openly shown their distaste through comments made on articles previously covering the films updates.

Levy (left); Campbell (right).

But hold on a minute. Before people continue whipping themselves into a foamy rage, look at who’s producing and lending their creative direction to the remake: Bruce Campbell (star of the original) and Sam Raimi (writer and director of the original), the two heavy hitters who made the original such an astonishing piece of work [citation]. There was no cloak-and-dagger plan to oust Bruce Campbell from the role as lead actor. Quite the contrary, in fact, for Bruce has been part of the project all along.

We are going to remake it. The first one,Bruce told BloodDisgusting, back in November of 2011. And people are a little iffy about that [but] we wanted to remake a movie with better effects and we’re better at telling stories now Theres no Ash character and that pisses people off [but] we didnt want to have the direct comparison. I wouldnt want to put an actor in that position.

Bruce Campbell

So we have a level-headed Bruce Campbell using his cinematic experience to guide the films direction and a star who is excited to take on the role of a new Evil Dead lead character. But can we really expect a thrilling remake of what is one of the most iconic cult classics of all time? Lets go back to Bruce:

You can expect to have a damn scary horror movie, said Bruce Campbell, to TheInsider. Theres no Ash character The Evil Book is going to torment a new set of kids, so its a remake, or a re-imagining or a re-whatever word you want to use. Its going to be re-scary.

Not everyone will agree, though, that the original was meant to be a frightening experience. Sure, Evil Dead was pitched as a horror film, but the low-budget backing of the film made for some hilarious moments. And according to what Jane Levy told TheInsider, she agrees:  I think the humor in the first one came from the special effects of the time. I dont know that they meant it to be funny this [remake] is not funny. Its definitely dark.

evil dead remake3

No one can deny that we live in an age of rehashed, recycled, and remade films. (There are 10 Halloween films. Nightmare on Elm Street was remade in 2010. The Thing saw a half-assed prequel emerge in 2011. The list goes on and on.) But, based on what Campbell and Levy said, the Evil Dead remake/re-imagining/re-whatever may be a closer-to-home telling of the original story, without the low-budget special effects hindering the film’s vision.

If Campbell and Raimi are seriously putting their necks on the line with this remake, all we can do is cheer them on and hope they don’t ruin their reputations. The film is rumored to hit theaters on April 12, 2013.

Good luck, guys.

The Sex Appeal of the Apocalypse

Surviving an apocalypse has never been this sexy. Andrew Tarusov, a Russian illustrator specializing in pin-up art, created the Apocalypse Tomorrow 2012 calendar, which combines sex appeal and apocalyptic scenarios.

Anyone familiar with the work of Gil Elvgren, the iconic American artist of pin-up girls, will see similarities in Tarusovs work. Unfortunately, the calendar is not available for purchase it is merely an experiment with styles and imagery. UPDATE: As commenter Austin pointed out, the calendars are for sale! “You have to email apocalyp2012@gmail.com if you live in the United States and tell them how many copies you want and the mailing address. They cost $25.00 + shipping!” (Thanks Austin.)

But the pictures definitely give some great ideas for new womens costumes.

NOTE: Some pictures may be NSFW.

apocalypse 2012 calendar1

The Saint Valentines Day Massacre – And Bricks

While most know Valentines Day as the holiday of love and affection, some remember it for a different reason: the Saint Valentines Day massacre.

Back during the prohibition era, the streets of Chicago were torn between two rival gangs, Al Capones South Side Italian gang and Bugs Morans North Side Irish gang. On the morning of February 14, 1929, Valentines Day, five members from Bugs Morans gang and two local gang collaborators were lined up against the back wall of the garage at 2122 North Clark Street and executed. The executioners were gangsters hired from outside Chicago by Al Capone, who wanted the attack to be a complete surprise.

The executing gangsters were dressed in varying styles of clothing; two dressed as police offers, while the rest wore suits, ties, and general businessman attire – not the usual gangster costumes. Two of the shooters used Thompson sub-machine guns, one equipped with a 50-round drum and the other a 20-round box magazine. The shooters sprayed round after round into the seven gangsters lined along the wall, even continuing to shoot after the victims fell to the floor. The coroners report claims some of the executed gangsters were literally torn apart by the volley of bullets.

Valentine's Day Massacre

An artistic representation of the massacre.

After the shooting stopped, the two false police officers led the fellow conspiring gang members out by gunpoint, so as to look like an arrest was taking place. The gang members then fled the scene.

But a local neighbor, Mrs. Landesman, sensed something was not quite right, so she sent one of her tenants to go look at the scene. The tenant became sick at the sight of seven bodies bleeding all over the garages floor, and he called for an ambulance.

valentine's day massacre

Model scene of massacre.

Frank Gusenberg, one of the men gunned down, was still breathing, and emergency medical staff immediately rushed him to a local hospital. After the doctors stabilized Frank, police asked him to describe who shot him. He replied, Nobody shot me, even though his body had clearly sustained fourteen bullet wounds. He died three hours later.

This event drew mass attention to the gang activities within Chicago, and some attribute the event with the eventual downfall of Capones mob.

But heres an interesting question: What happened to the garage where the massacre took place?

In 1967, the garage was demolished and is now a landscaped parking lot for a nursing home. As for the bricks that once comprised the wall where seven men were gunned down, those 414 bricks were purchased by George Patey, who painstakingly dismantled the wall, numbered the bricks, and then shipped them to his home in Canada.

valentine's day massacre

George Patey and the brick collection.

In 1971, Patey opened the Banjo Palace nightclub, where he installed the bricks in the mens restroom. Patey shielded the bricks with a Plexiglas shield, which he painted targets onto, so as to encourage men to use their urine to reenact the massacre. The nightclub closed in 1976.

In 1978, Time Magazine reported that Patey reassembled the wall and put it on display in a wax museum. The museum featured a scene of gangsters shooting each other in front of the wall. But the wax museum later went bankrupt.

valentine's day massacre

The wax museum scene.

The bricks were then placed in storage until 1997, when Patey tried to auction them off. A Las Vegas casino offered $175,000 for all of the bricks, but Patey refused. In 1999, Patey tried to sell off individual bricks and managed to get rid of approximately a hundred.

Patey passed away on December 26, 2004, with the brick collection going to his niece, who then sold the remaining bricks to a Las Vegas mob museum.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter – The First Trailer

Today marks the first official trailer release for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, a film directed by Timur Bekmambetov. If Bekmambetov’s name does not sound familiar, he’s the director behind such action-packed movies as Wanted (2008), Day Watch (2006), and Night Watch (2004). The film is currently scheduled for release on July 22, 2012.

Synopsis: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a re-imagining of the 16th President’s life that depicts him as an axe-throwing, highly accomplished killer of vampires — an obsession of his since those bloodsuckers supposedly took the life of his mother. Lincoln eventually learns that the vampires have fled to the southern states of the U.S. and are concocting a plan to conquer and enslave the entire country — this in turn leads to the Civil War between the Union and the Confederacy, the latter of which the vampires are aligned with.

Now onto the good stuff!

Remake of Beauty and the Beast? By director of Silent Hill? Yes, please!

Christophe Gans, director behind Silent Hill and Brotherhood Of The Wolf, is scheduled to make his own version of the iconic classic Beauty and the Beast. The two stars of the film will be Vincent Cassel, who acted in Black Swan, Out Day Will Come, and Sheitan, and Lea Seydoux, best known from Inglorious Basterds.

Christophe-Gans

Christophe Gans.

Although there are no raw details of the plot currently available, Gans has said, Although I will keep to a form of storytelling of this timeless fairy tale that is in keeping with the same pace and characters as the original, I will surprise the audience by creating a completely new visual universe.

vincentcassel

Vincent Cassel.

Since the project is still in such early days of development, there is no news as to what genre the film will fall into, though one can expect to be horror. After all, Gan is the direction behind Silent Hill. Assuming Gans continues down the path his previous work has taken, this film will not be filled with Disney princesses singing songs and performing choreographed dances.

Clive Barker Recovers from Coma

On January 22, Clive Barker, creator of Hellraiser and Candyman, sent out this message on his Twitter account: Dear Friends, I’ve had some medical issues that have recently forced me away from my beloved desk and into the hospital… But do not worry… I will be home soon and back to causing trouble! My apologies for being off the radar! All of my love, Clive XOXO.

But no more messages came from Barkers Twitter account only silence. Why was Barker in the hospital? Was he all right? What happened? Days passed, yet no news came.

Clive Barker

Clive Barker in 2007 at the EMP/Science Fiction Museum in Seattle.

Then Clive Barkers official website put out this message:

My friends, Clive here. I’m at home now after a while in hospital, thanks to a nearly fatal case of Toxic Shock brought on by a visit to my dentist. Apparently this is not uncommon. In my case the dental work unloaded such a spillage of poisonous bacteria into my blood that my whole system crashed, putting me into a coma. I spent several days in Intensive Care, with a machine breathing for me. Later, my Doctors said that they had not anticipated a happy ending until I started to fight, repeatedly pulling out the tubes that I was constantly gagging on. After a few days of nightmarish delusions I woke up to my life again, tired, twenty pounds lighter but happy to be back from a very dark place. And here in the world I intend to stay. I’ve books to write, films to make and paintings to paint. I seem to have come home with my sight clearer somehow, and my sense of purpose intensified. Thank you all for your messages your prayers and love. What better reason to wake to life than knowing I have such friends? Again, thank you. My love to you always. Clive.

Its strange to see a legend as big as Clive Barker succumb to a freak accident. It reminds us that underneath all of those novels and films and paintings Barker is as human as the rest of us. From all of us at FrightCatalog.com, we wish Barker the quickest of recoveries.

Fox Rejects Proposed $80 Million Frankenstein Film

A script for a new Frankenstein film has been kicking around since August of last year. The writer behind the script is Max Landis, the same writer who produced the recent blockbuster film Chronicle. Landis’ script is said to have utilized more science fiction tropes than the traditional Mary Shelley story.

Shawn Levy, director behind Real Steel, Night at the Museum, and Date Night, was expected to take creative charge on the film, transforming the script into a cinematic experience.

Landis frankenstein

However, according to Vulture, …Fox recently balked at making Levys planned remake of Frankenstein at an $80 million budget… Since Chronicle only held a budget of $15 million, one can see why Fox would be so hesitant to fund an $80 million project that’s quite a leap of finances, no matter how well Chronicle did in theaters. So, for now, we must remain content with traditional Frankenstein costumes, but maybe soon we’ll see some science fiction cyborg Frankenstein groaning onto the silver screen.

900 Pounds of Butterfingers Left in Copley Square, Boston

In a remarkable marketing stunt, Pawngo.com left 900 pounds of Butterfingers candy bars in Copley Square, Boston. Next to the pile of candy, a sign read, Thank you Wes Welker Pawngo.com.

Clearly, the company is calling out Welker, the wide receiver for the Patriots, who dropped a crucial pass late in last Sundays Super Bowl game. And it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see what the message here is: Pawngo.com thinks Welker is all Butterfingers.

The company put out a Twitter message, We’re giving Boston a late morning snack to get over Sundays loss #butterfingers.

Here’s a picture of people clamoring for their Butterfingers:

pawngo butterfingers

 

If you’re in Boston, go get yourself a late snack!

The World of Horror Loses Two Members

According to Dread Central, Bill Hinzman, best known as Zombie #1 in George Romeros Night of the Living Dead, passed away yesterday. He was 75, and had been fighting against cancer.

If you have not seen Romeros Night of the Living Dead, Hinzman is the zombie shambling through the graveyard in this scene:

In addition to Hinzmans infamous role as the original Romero zombie, he also worked on such films as Theres Always Vanilla, The Crazies, and Hungry Wives. In 1988, Hinzman wrote, edited, directed, and starred in Flesh Eater, in which he plays the same role as Zombie #1 from Night of the Living Dead. Hinzman was a frequent attendant of the Halloween convention circuit, often attending in costume as the famed Romero zombie.

Josephine Streiner, another actress in Romeros Night of the Living Dead, also passed away today. Josephine played another of the many ghouls within the film, and it is her car that Barbara wrecked while trying to escape the graveyard where Hinzman first appeared.

Both of these individuals will be greatly missed, for they contributed to one of horrors greatest films. From all of us at FrightCatalog.com, we wish their families peace and solace.